Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Change of Plans

Last week we held a fund raiser to raise money for the trip to the Badminton CCI4* in England. I was blown away by the outpouring of support for Cavaldi and me to "cross the pond" and would like to express my appreciation to everyone who came to the party and contributed to our efforts.

As I said in my speech at the party, I am still taken aback by the support and generosity of this community. I am left speechless at times and filled with great joy, knowing how we all can pull together and make something happen for one another. It is truly spectacular!

The fund raiser evening was very special to me and I hope everyone had as much fun as I had hoped! I left that evening feeling much love and support and hope for growing relationships with many people.

Secondly, I am writing to you all because something happened over this past weekend, the day that Joey, (Cavaldi), was meant to fly to England. We had done our last gallop the day before and he was iced and wrapped in our usual manner, but Sunday morning there was swelling in a front leg. We already had an appointment with Dr. Staller bright and early to do our final check before leaving and to run IV fluids to keep Joey hydrated for his trip.

Unfortunately, the swelling is a strain to his suspensory ligament that became painful overnight. In the long run, Joey should recover just fine, but right now, there is nothing anyone could do to quickly turn this around and make him better in such a short time. It is in Joey's best interest to rest his leg right now for a short period and come up with Plan B!

This breaks my heart, as you can imagine, not only for Joey, and our quest to fulfill this dream, but because of the support of everyone behind me. I'm so very sorry on the timing of this, I know we all are. But, there will be another day, another event - and Joey, most importantly, will be okay!

As far as the generous donations that have been made towards Joey and I, we are happy to return all donations, and we thank you all so very much! As a team here at KSEventing we hope that there are many more trips and opportunities to celebrate with all of you in the future! Our plan for the donations is to put them into a savings account towards the next big endeavor overseas to represent the USA!

Warmest Regards,

Kristin Schmolze

No comments:

Post a Comment