Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Update from Bromont

Bonjour from Bromont! Here is the saga of my last week or so:

Last week, things were looking great: I had a dressage lesson with Linda Zang on Thursday at True Prospect and it was amazing and I learned a ton, as usual with Linda's lessons!! I also went to the Devon Grand Prix on Thursday night and got to see Sapphire retire! Actually I had a really fun evening out and got to hang with my girl Jennie Brannigan and she let me crash at her place so I could have an early lesson on Friday with Phillip to tune up our jumping, pre-Bromont.  As usual, Phillip gives the best lessons, and I always come away with the confidence I need, especially going into a big event!!

Ok, so that's Thursday and Friday, then Saturday I spent the day at the farm getting rides in on all the horses and teaching lessons for my students before I left for Canada. Sunday I scooted down to NJHP for a schooling event to ride one of my green horses and one client's horse, and three students were competing. I figured it was a good event to get to before I left for a week in Canada...well, so I THOUGHT!

As I got on my green prospect horse early Sunday morning for dressage, everything was normal and felt as usual; then as I started to walk away, he decided that today was not a day for riding/working. He took off bucking and rearing, leaping and bucking - if you can imagine the nastiest saddle Bronc you have ever seen, yep, that is what the awful experience turned into. Something switched in this horse's eye and he snapped. The harder I tried to stay on, the harder he tried to throw me. I outlasted the regulation 8 seconds by far, but the last buck to send me flying was as he leapt onto the pavement. So, yes, I was airborne, and landed about as hard as you are imagining in your head right now, on the pavement. Thankfully I did NOT hit my head, so I was able to leap up and over a few feet after I hit so as not to get trampled as this maniac horse hit the road and fell. In the end, the horse was fine, buuuut, I got to ride in an ambulance, Whoohoo!

So one ER trip later, I have a couple cracked ribs and MANY badly bruised ones, and lots of scrapes, road rash, and very colorful bruising associated with lots of swelling. Yep, and I had to leave for Bromont on Tuesday morning, God help me :(

I couldn't ride Rox on Sunday, but Vanessa stepped up and flatted him with me on the ground and rode him beautifully! Monday was our final gallop: I gave it a try and hopped on, but five steps into posting trot and I screeched in pain and collapsed on Rox's neck because I had SHOOTING pains through my back and rib cage, NOT GOOD! so I slithered off and Vanessa warmed Rox up and then I got back on. I tried holding mane and in riding in 2 point, I cantered off, and I was okay. My legs took the concussion and it was tolerable. So across the street I went to do a few sprints before we left! Rox was great.

Vanessa has been a saint! Since I am practically useless in every way - I can't even lift a bag or, well, anything - and she drove the entire way to Bromont for me! Thank goodness!!

When we arrived, Rox looked superb! I tried my first flat since the 'incident'......yeah......not good! No bueno!!!!! I was USELESS on Rox's back. I couldn't stay balanced....let's just say it was awful and I was so upset. We have worked so hard to get here and my horse is amazing and I can't help him at all, it was a terrible feeling.

Today brought better feelings. Though the ribs still feel awful, the muscle spasms I have had in my back since the accident finally started to soften this morning, Praise the Lord!!! At least I had slightly less pain, anyway. My first ride was pretty good: I could actually do some kind of flat work that was recognizable! By Wednesday evening, I again could start actually 'riding' more!
 


Photo of Phillip jogging Rox from EventingNation.com     http://eventingnation.com/home/bromont-first-horse-inpection-report-and-gallery.html/attachment/dscn7230
Phillip, trainer extraordinaire, jogged Rox for me to give me some more resting time, and here I am, Wednesday evening, taking a hot shower and LOTS of ibuprofen, preparing for our Thursday morning dressage test. I'm first to go, of course, why not, right?? Oh, annnnd my zipper broke on my tall boots today, yep, awesome. All good...

Everyone say a prayer, have a glass of wine for me.....and well, enjoy the moment!

Rox baby, here we go!!!

Xoxo, Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment